Friday 13 May 2011

why "Ban the BOGAN"?

I'd like to repsond to a very fair comment regarding the term "bogan" within this blog.
...I really, really wish it wasn’t called “ban the bogan”, so over australians acting like racism is an essentially working-class thing or something.  the white kids at my elite university are just as racist as the white kids at my bogan high school, and have a lot more social power. 
I totally agree! The term "Ban the Bogan" was chosen because it was actually the first public graffiti in response to the original mural. So this blog's name is in reference to that, and in my own way, "tipping my hat" to the first brave person willing to take a stand.

However in saying all of this, if you ever met anyone from the APP who regularly turns up with in their utes with Australian flags a-wavin' and cases of beer under arm, you'll realise that "bogan" couldn't be more apt.

No comments:

Post a Comment